Monday, January 23, 2012

"Should Church Musicians Be Paid"

This is one blog that is easy to write. The answer is "Yes", absolutely unless they opt to volunteer their time and some musicians do. I think the bigger question is how much should they be paid? That answer is based on the job description and the economical status of the employee and the employer. I remember this debate being heavy in my youth especially in the more charismatic churches. Well actually it wasn't, if you were a musician in the Pentecostal church you were not going to be paid. The philosophy was you (the musician) were supposed to volunteer your time and talent for the Lord and the Lord is going to bless you as a result. This debate is still a heavy one in our christian churches. Today there are many who believe that paying musicians is terribly wrong and on the flip side their are many musicians who refuse to do anything for free.

I am not going to quote biblical scriptures on the reasons why I think musicians should be paid because I have had the experience of hearing preachers and church folk twist the Gospel up and down to make it fit their perspective on the situation. I will say that in the OT musicians were NOT paid but their needs were met by the Temple while they were working. The Temple provided shelter, food etc.  In this day that would equal to mortgage, car note, insurance, retirement, clothes and food. Who would need a check if this were taking place? However that would be ever so costly wouldn't it? So compensation would be the most logical solution. 

I think what most people do not fully understand is the amount of skill and time it takes for a person to become a skilled musician yet a alone a skilled church musician.  Many people like myself have gone to school, studied and received degrees in order that we might perfect our craft. Then their are some who never went to school but through experience and mentorship have become excellent musicians sometimes better than the ones who went to school. It take equal amount of time and effort to become a skilled musician as it does becoming a preacher or Pastor. I know that's a controversial statement because many Pastors do NOT see musicians as equals in any way but that's more of a philosophical belief then a biblical one. 

Church musicians are not equal to deacons, nurses, trustees or any one else. You can't wake up one day and decide to be a musician. It's a gift from God that some have from birth and others develop later on in life. You can't go to a few training courses and learn to be an excellent musician. IT'S HARD WORK.  Some of us just make it look easy because we've been doing it for so long.  Now if your in the Black Church you most likely will have to play, sing and direct at the same time unless you have other persons in the church who assist you in the other areas.

As I mentioned earlier, churches should compensate musicians based on their(the churches) needs, economical status and musicians qualifications. If your church cannot pay a musician, for whatever reason,  to play for your church then you should consider other options unless you have someone who is willing to donate their time and talent to the church which is perfectly fine. I am in awe of the musicians who have the financial resources to not have to ask for compensation from the church. If I could play for free I would. Many churches think that musicians are money-hungry freaks that go to the highest bidder and some are but the majority of us are Disciples of Christ and we wanna see the ministry flourish. However we have needs to and they must be met. Many of us have outside jobs as well as church jobs trying to keep our families afloat. My father always told me to have an extra job because churches can flip the script on you in a heartbeat and you will be out of work and money. I pass that on to you young musicians who are relying on the church for your well being. YOU BETTER GET A DAY JOB. (LOL)  

Lastly, if the church has enough money to pay the Pastor,  the electric company, the water company, the insurance, gas, and the accountant (all who provide services for the church) then they SURELY ( I feel the organ coming in right now) they can compensate the Levite in the temple who provides the sweet melodies of Heaven here on earth. 

(There are many who read these blogs but don't leave comments. Please leave your comments. It helps us as a body to engage in these meaningful discussions)


Peace, 
Phillip 




21 comments:

  1. There is Biblical precedent for your point, Phil. 1 Chronicles gives an account of the Levitical musicians in the tabernacle and the temple. This was their job, and since they had families, one can only conclude that the temple was providing for their needs. Today we would call that pay, sick leave, medical, retirement, etc. So I guess it all boils down to whether you see yourself as a hireling or a Levite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I whole-heartedly believe that our musicians should be paid as ministers of the Gospel, and held to the upmost accountablity as well. Music is as much a significant part of our worship service as the preached Word. It can make or break a service.
    However, I have seen quite a few ministers of music who have no reverence for the Gospel, and I have learned of lots of churches who have musicians who play but are not believers. My answer is yes, and the should be held to a standard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points Todd and Women on my path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job on the blog Phil. As a musician, I agree wholeheartedly. I hope that we as the body will look at what we can do on both sides to further the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog, I agree as well. I was blessed with the gift of song and only want to use it to give Him praise. I am glad that I attend a church that appreciates my service as well as compensates me for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book Resource- African American Musician's Salary & Compensation Handbook

    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BZ9QC6GKUNAZG

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BZ9QC6GKUNAZG


    Book Description:
    The African-American Church Musician's Compensation & Salary Handbook educates an audience of all ministers of music, pastors, and church committee members with an easy to read guide providing unity and fairness to the church organization. This handbook provides guidance and value to the normally stressful event of budget planning and organization. While highlighting the importance of music and musicians, Perry lists the expectations and goals that the music minister should obtain. The pastor should have complete open communication with the music minister for the handbook to be successful and unify the music department. The African-American Church Musician's Compensation & Salary Handbook is destined to become a 21st Century landmark for the African-American Church and music ministry nation wide. The African-American Church Musician's Compensation & Salary Handbook (ISBN: 978-0-9827259-0-0) is available through Real Praise Music

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great points 1singing lady. I do believe that if you are a professional at what you do, singing and playing. Churches have to take care of the Levites. It has to be built in to their budgets unless they are unable to do so or the musician/singer volunteers their services. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I personally believe that sometimes musicians, vocalist, and the PREACHERS are prostituted for their gifts and talents. Your article/blog was on point and you highlighted some very good points. Very interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great article and I must say that the comments are truly impressive. As a Senior Pastor, I totally agree with compensating musicians for rendering their gifts in ministry. I have been a proponent of this for over 25 years and I feel this has been taken out of context. While we could debate back and forth, the real factor in paying the Pastor, Musicians, etc is can the ministry afford compensating the ministry staff? I have witness both sides of the coin, while some are committed to the ministry, some are committed to the check, and this is not only “musicians”, some Pastor’s are only committed to the pay as well. For me it’s the best fit for your ministry and what can the church afford. We have to be upfront and honest with musicians, if you cannot pay the amount they are seeking, tell them and maybe you can work something out. What appalls me is when I hear from musicians or singers that have been promised certain compensation and they have labored only to discover it was a game. This hurts the individual and the ministry as a whole, also it puts a terrible taste in the individual and it’s hard for them to trust anyone. I feel as a leader sometimes we have to be the example, by this I have paid my musicians without me receiving pay. It’s a sacrifice but the reward has been greater! I pray this has been a blessing to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Pastor Ron. It was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually had a whole lot to say on this subject. It is very near and dear to my heart!!! My personal family is filled with musicians that have had the same story. From my mother on down to me. It is not so much "compensation", but I think that respect for the time and the energy given to do the work. I think that going into Church Musicianship... there are those who sincerely have a heart to do the WORK of Ministry as it pertains to Music, and that alone needs to be appreiciated. The all around respect for the music department in "some" places of worship, it is just sad. I have been actively involed for about 26 years and unfortunately, this topic will continue in until Jesus comes. I don't mind negotiating and working with ministries according to their budget, but there is something to be said, when you make some one wait 30 min after church to get a $25.00 check, or when you are a guest Psalmist somewhere and they slip you $20.00 (balled up outta their pocket)for gas. What and insult!!! ok ENOUGH of my rantings!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was most interested to read your article. I'm a professional pianist and organist in Bath in the UK. I recently played for a funeral at the church where I play for 2 or 3 Sunday sung mass services a month and compose all the service music (mass settings etc) for which I receive a fee of £100 per month. The person who died was the sacristan who was retired and gave his services free, for many years. When I was booked I was not asked to play for 'free' but when I put in my bill to the funeral company as I always do, the priest sent me an angry email trying to guilt trip me into not being paid. Incidentally, the person in question was a respected colleague but not a personal friend of mine. I have put it down to the 'angry' stage of grief, but since it was a highly insulting email, saying that he hoped when my husband dies (thanks for that!) musicians charge the maximum amount to my family. I can only say that I would be more than happy to pay them and would never expect any musician to work (it is hard physical work demanding a similar level of skill and training to the work of a surgeon - that is if you are making an excellent job of it as I believe I do). I will receive no pension and have 5 children to support. As many have said before, try not paying the plumber, or in this case the people who carry the hearse, and see how far you get!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this article has really opened my eyes so far this issue is concerned. i didn't obtain any degree or go to any music school but im an excellent musician better than those who did. i play by inspiration from GOD, experience and mentorship and aside that have a job too. i will say compensate rather than pay because my church can't pay me if i had no extra job looking at living in these time of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never understood why churches have no problems with paying their pastors, plumbers, electricians, sound companies, building contractors, maintenance workers, custodians, well, you get the picture. But when it comes to musicians, well, that service should be offered for free. I think it goes way back to where musicians have always been thought of as second class citizens. Don't forget, even Mozart and Beethoven had to enter a building from the servants entrance. I believe the average person does not know or care how much skill, training, and discipline it requires to become a skilled musician. It's just play time right? Even the word "play" is always used when referring to a musician's work. Do you ever hear an electrician say, Oh, I played last night putting in a conduit, or a plumber saying, I played on that pipe fitting last night. It was great! The common belief is that when a musician is perfoming his or her craft they are "playing". Why should we pay for someone who is playing? It's just fun time, right? Frustrating, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have enjoyed reading all the comments. I have a question though. On Sunday mornings, do a paid musician say "time to go to work", or "time to go and worship". I dont think comparing other trades to church musicans is a good comparison. First all, the plumber dont claim when he is working in the church to be worshipping while working. Second paid musicians in the entertainment field are getting paid to entertain. Our musicians in church suppose to be ministering through music not entertaining. We as Christians have gotten so far from Gods will that conflicts like this is hindering people from turly being fed the word of God. One last thing. People say if the church did not pay the musicians then they couldn't support their families. How much are they paying these folks to practice once a week and play on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Question to mr aaron heath, what musicians do you know at a high level are practicing once a week and then playing on sunday? show me one then I will show you a church ministry that is lacking in the areas of music, a mediocre music ministry is the implication here..??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  18. As a musician (trained and one who plays by ear) with over 35 years of experience, I have seen this issue raised over and over. Recently we discussed on my show and all of the callers agreed that musicians should be compensated to the best of that church's ability. If you, as a musician, have a rate you charge, you should be free to ply that rate on the open market. If you want to offer that service free of charge, that is also your right. We should be careful of trying to find NT principles in the Mosaic system. The temple system was not replaced by the church system and calling musicians "levites" is not Biblically correct. That being said; I agree that the church should do it's best to support the musicians. If the church can't afford you; you have a responsibility to find one that will.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Musicians should be paid, He's the first in the church and last to leave the church, that's a lot of commitment The musicians minister longer then the Pastor but for most church the Pastor gets paid. A song is sung for five minutes will remain with you for years and years, but you forget most sermon within the week.

    ReplyDelete